WHAT IS TURN THE TABLES?
TURN THE TABLES is a project developed by Mama Lana’s Community Foundation (MLCF), to give businesses the opportunity to join together to build a valuable resource for the most vulnerable members of our community.
Our continual expansion meant that we outgrew our humble beginnings and needed our community’s help to strengthen our service, to continue to transform lives. The initial response to this project was amazing, and provided us with the first 3 years of funds for permanent premises!
HOW DOES TURN THE TABLES WORK?
Businesses (or other organisations and individuals) are invited to become TURN THE TABLES Partners. This is ideal for community-minded businesses who want to give to a cause, knowing it will make a tangible difference.
Each business contributes $1,000 per year, with a commitment of 3 years ($3,000 in total).
NOTE: Larger Partner donations are also accepted!
TURN THE TABLES contributions covers rental (and associated) costs of running the Mama Lana’s Community Foundation premises.
All donations are fully tax deductible.
WHY YOU SHOULD JOIN TURN THE TABLES
- You will be a part of an exciting initiative, a new approach to philanthropy and community giving.
- You will be part of a unique movement in our local community, showing that there is power in unity and collaboration.
- You will know exactly how your money is being utilised.
- You will be invited to attend an annual ‘Thank You’ event for Partners, hosted by MLCF, where you can meet fellow Partners and expand your networks (note: this hasn't occurred during the COVID pandemic but we hope to have this up and running in the future!).
- You will receive acknowledgement in our local community of your generosity.
- You will have opportunity to provide volunteer experiences for your staff if you desire.
WHAT SERVICES DOES MLCF PROVIDE FROM THE PREMISES?
- Dinner service (Monday - Saturday)
- *Drop In Centre (Tuesday and Thursday)
- Student Lunch Program
- Basic document assistance (e.g. resume writing)
- Personal care packages
- *Library facilities
- *Loungeroom area for a safe and quiet place to rest
- Clothing and ‘rough sleeper’ supplies
- Food hampers
- Advocacy and patron support
- A sympathetic, non-judgmental ear to listen
*During the COVID pandemic, these services have been suspended or modified
WHAT EXISTING SERVICES SUPPORT OR LINK WITH MLCF?
- Food donors: Aldi, Coles, Foodbank, Sargents Pies, local restaurants, private donations.
- Centrelink, Wentworth Housing, Platform Youth Services, UNitin NDIS, Likemind, Ability Links, Springwood Nursing Home, and more.
- Various local churches, schools and social groups.
WHAT DOES OUR NEW PREMISES LOOK LIKE?
MLCF has secured a private rental premises that has been renovated to accommodate our needs. Cooks prepare most meals at home, with meal service conducted under a purpose-built undercover area in our
backyard (or via takeaway meals during COVID restricted periods).
Facilities at our premises include:
- Dining area for meal service
- Cooking facilities
- Storage facilities
- Community pantry
- Private meeting areas
- Clothes washing and shower facilities
MLCF is independently audited each year and all expenditure accounted for.
MLCF is governed by a Constitution which allows provision for a maximum of one (full time equivalent) paid position, should funds become available. All other positions and tasks are undertaken by volunteers.
ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS FOR TURN THE TABLES PARTNERS
- Inclusion on the ‘TURN THE TABLES Partners Wall’ (on the MLCF website and at rental premises)
- Framed ‘TURN THE TABLES Partner’ certificate to hang in your workplace
- ‘Thank You’ posts on social media
- Invitation to Partner’s annual ‘Thank You’ event
- Use of the ‘TURN THE TABLES Partner’ logo
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES FOR TURN THE TABLES PARTNERS
- Run fundraising BBQs
- Serve food at a nightly meal service
- Pick up and sort donations
- Offer free services to patrons (eg legal assistance, haircuts, etc)
- Pack personal care or Student Food Program packages
- Working bees/team building
- Other opportunities tailored to your company